I made a few goals (resolutions) for 2015:
- Run at least 1 mile each day in 2015.
- Run and PR in the Go! St. Louis Half Marathon in April 2015.
- Train and complete my 2nd Marathon toward the end of the year and PR.
- Eat healthy at every given chance
- Drink less alcohol and eat less junk food
- Make and use lists or “Stickies”! (tip from my grandson, Daniel)
- Live and Love in the moment and not worry about the future as I obsessively do most of the time.
This morning, it was 24 degrees and I ran 1 mile in shorts and sleeveless shirt in Zone 4 threshold.
I then joined my husband in the basement and while he did his spinning, I ran a 32 minute interval (Z4 – 3 min, Z2 1.5 min) interval run.
We were both dripping sweat and loving it!
I am training for the Go! St. Louis Half Marathon in April and I want to do a different type of training which uses the heart monitor to keep and zone levels. Instead of worrying about miles etc….you run so many minutes in higher/lower heart rate zones. So far, I like it. Its challenging and it makes the treadmill better when I can’t run outside.
My scheduled formal runs so far for 2015:
February 7 – Run for Your Beads 5k in Soulard St. Louis
March 14 – St. Patrick’s Day 5 Mile run in Downtown St. Louis
April 12 – Go! St. Louis Half Marathon in St. Louis
So, I’m in training for the HM and happy about that. It is a bit depressing going from marathon training to no training.
I stole this survey from two blogs that I read:
1. Best race experience? This is usually hard for me to pick because I have so many favorites: Run for your Beads 5k, St. Patrick’s Day 5 Miler, Race for a Cure…etc but this year, hands down favorite race experience was completing my first full marathon in Rock ‘n Roll St. Louis this past October 19. Not much compares to crossing that finish line with my family watching.
2. Best run? Was my Half Marathon in the Go! St. Louis. I ran the entire thing with no walk break shortly after I was released by my doctor to run after extensive surgery. That’s when I knew that I could possibly do a full marathon.
3. Favorite Run? (I added this one) Run for Your Beads 5k – Mardi Gras in St. Louis Feb 2014 because my 7 year old grandson Daniel ran it with me. It was a struggle to keep him focused and running but the last half…he was a star encouraging everyone. At the end of the race, many of the runners wanted their picture made with him. He also received a lot of beads for his encouragement and he felt like someone very special…which of course he is. I was smiling from ear to ear.
4. Best new piece of gear? Definitely my Purple Garmin Forerunner 220
5. Best piece of running advice you’ve received? “Run the Mile You Are In.” I can’t tell you how many times I remembered and followed this advice while I was training for 26.2 miles.
6. Most inspirational runner? Besides me HA! Meb Keflezighi of course. His win in the Boston Marathon was so inspirational for me. I cried when he crossed the finish line. I am a fairly new runner so I don’t know many sports figures in running. I’ll have a different answer…maybe next year.
7. If you could sum up your year in a couple of words what would they be?